Tuesday, February 14, 2012

~Macklyn's Birthday~

Thursday evening should have been all about rest, but no such luck. We met Chris's parents to drop Macie off and when we finally made it home, I had to finish my online homework that was due on Friday ( yes, I knew about it - yes, I had been putting it off). So, knowing I had a crap ton of reading and hw to do, I just set my alarm for 5 am and got to work. I finished in record times and by 2:30 am I was in bed.

I slept decent. Of course Chris slept well, he was out by 10 pm I'm sure.

5:00 was too early for me, so after pressing snooze a few times I was finally up and at 'em by 5:25.

I was supposed to check in at 6:30, but we all know hospitals are usually running behind - Lake Granbury Medical Center is no different. ;) We pulled in, a million bags in tow, Chris dropped me off at registration by 6:40, and he went to park.

I had pre-registered, so it took next to no time and we were off to L&D for our "big adventure" #2.

Chris hadn't brought in our bags and The nurse that placed me in my room noticed there wasn't a gown for me. I told her I had brought my own (made out of a beautiful Amy Butler fabric!).

(my experience with hospital gowns is that they smell funny and are always about 3 sizes too big for me - heck yes I took the opportunity to bring my own)

The nurse wasn't impressed - she gave me this rotten look then asked if it had snaps and tied up the back. I told her it did, but she still told me it was a bad idea because it was going to get all bloody (still with the rotten look). Seriously, you would have thought I had asked her if my dog could come for the birth. It's a gown, I know there's a chance it could get bloody (this ain't my first rodeo, lady).

After that, I was so scared I was about to have a terrible experience. I sat and waited and waited. Finally my nurse walked in - sweet relief in Nettie, RN. What an angel she was! She got me all set up with my IV, worked through a few kinks without getting the least bit rotten, and we were on our way to baby land!

I met Jalyn, our baby nurse. What a sweetheart too. She and Nettie had nothing but compliments for me AND my beautiful personal hospital gown. From then on out, everything went smoothly.

My momma was our first guest to arrive, followed by my dad and grandparents. I was just trying to relax and having all of them there was a huge comfort.  I felt a little bad, though, because the nurses and dr were in and out checking my progress, so my family was up and down and in and out of the room.  

Everything moved pretty quickly after they started my pitocin (at a little after 8 am).  I got my epidural soon after I hit 5cm, but I can't remember what time (I want to say around 9:30)  By about 2:00, the contractions were coming full force and were pretty painful (even with my epidural).  As soon as the pain started, it was about 2:15 and I told my family that they might want to get out because it was about to get ugly and I was pretty sure the baby would be here by 3:00.  

I never felt like I did this time around with Macie, so it was a bit of a surprise.  With Macie, I had asked for something for the pain so I was really groggy during the delivery.  This time, I didn't ask for anything and I am so glad that I didn't.  I remember so much more and the recovery was so much easier.  

So anyway, I was in tears desperate to get this little girl out of me.  The nurse checked and I was at an 8.  20 min later, I was at a 10 and ready to go!  They got everything set up, meanwhile we were just having a conversation about the girl in the next room about to give birth....they said we were in a race for the first to deliver. 

I won!  

3:03pm, Macklyn Veronica Pike was born: 7lbs 9oz, 20 1/4 inches long.  Her cry was so loud and sweet at the same time and as soon as she was in my arms, the crying stopped.  She looked so much like Macie and was just beautiful.  I couldn't believe she was finally here and in my arms.  **TEARS**

Macie was the first in to meet her new baby sister.  The look on her face was priceless when she saw Macklyn was priceless.  Her excitement was so sweet.  She has been the best big sister - she truly loves Macklyn (although, now she says she's ready for a brother - silly girl).
Macie had the chance to help with her first bathing and she jumped right on that.  Jalyn, the baby nurse, was so sweet to let Macie help out!
The last week and a half has flown, but has been such an enjoyable time!

Our first few days at home were a little rocky, but we're getting into a groove and Macklyn is getting her days and nights straight finally.  She's such a good baby and very sweet.  I don't think I could have been blessed with a better baby.

We have already taken two road trips and she slept through both of them!  Macie NEVER did that - she was always cranky in the car.  I hope she continues to surprise me! :) 

The second time around is definitely easier!  Chris and I both have so much more patience - I think it's because we're older and wiser.

Macie has had no problems adjusting - thank the good Lord for that!

We learn something new about each other every day and it just gets smoother and easier with time. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been patiently awaiting this post!!

    I love all your pictures (Including your censored tag!!)...

    Congrats on your family of 4!

    ReplyDelete